Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Hit of TV Comedy...And Lack Thereof: Thoughts on the Big 3's Comedy Blocks and Battle for the Longest Post Title Award in the World

There is something that has been bothering me since Wednesday (no, I really don't have a life and really DO have a lot of free time so I CAN think about this problem, so spare me the insults in the comments, please...unless they're original).

Wednesday night saw the return of my favorite comedy on television, Modern Family. Last season, ABC built up a nice little block of comedies, with The Middle starting the night, Modern Family coming on an hour later at 9, and Cougar Town wrapping things up at 9:30 (this last one I have only seen bits and pieces of, and I can say that what I've seen has nothing to do with the gimmick the title false advertises and is pretty awesomely reminiscent of Scrubs', which the creator of this show also made.) Anyhow, this comedy block came back on Wednesday and Modern Family was at its usual A game, with the Middle and Cougar Town providing their dependable laughs (and much-publicized guest stars, Doris Roberts on the former and Jennifer Aniston on the latter).  BUT THERE WAS SOMETHING TERRIBLE WRONG (Answer after the video below).

MVP OF TV COMEDY AND BEST COMEDY EMMY AWARD WINNER, MODERN FAMILY

But this season, instead of just throwing a rerun of one of those three shows in the 8:30 slot like ABC had in the past, the network brought in a new comedy, called Better With You.

Excuse the obvious pun, but ABC's lineup is BETTER WITHOUT YOU. The show, while it has Debra Jo Rupp (Kitty from That 70's Show), is very uninspiring, stale, and ultimately a cheesefest with a side of bore. It does not fit with the comedy block at all!

My friend and I were sitting there, anxiously waiting the return of the Pritchett family at 9, but we had to sit through an entire half-hour of a family comedy that basically showcases the worst in what Modern Family does best. CASE IN POINT: The biggest laugh we got from that show (and the only one...besides the laughter we got from listening to the awful audience laugh tracks) was from a news alert that popped up at the bottom of the screen during the show. It read: WOMAN STRANGLES RABID FOX. I wish it had said Woman strangles rabid tv show because watching this "comedy" makes me want to foam out the mouth and have a seizure. ABC, please find something to put in its place!

Over on NBC, there is a similar problem, but this time it is with the 9:30 hour. It is called Outsourced and it is the most painfully generic half hour on television. It is about a man who is relocated to manage a call center in India that sells American novelty items like fake vomit, rubber chickens, etc. The show is about as cheesy and useless as the items it characters peddle off to customers. The show beats to death Indian stereotypes that come off as cruel and unoriginal (how many times must we be told that "Indian food = g.i. issues" is funny? It's not after a bajillion times hearing it.) Please Outsource this show to a place that deserves this kind of unfunniness...like...nope, I can't think of any place I would want to subject people to this show.
This just feels right, doesn't it?

Outsourced ends a great night of TV on NBC, which consists of Community (2nd most underrated show on TV), 30 Rock, and The Office. Hey, NBC, I have a great idea! Get rid of Outsourced because you never needed it. You have a show that airs on Thursday at 9:30. It's called Parks and Recreation (mot underrated show on TV). Let people see it!

So, I have come up with a solution for NBC (Ditch Outsourced and bring back Parks and Recreation.) But no solution for ABC? How unfair, you say!? I am not a miracle worker people!

But I am good at thinking on the spot. Luckily, there is a spot right under me right now, so I do have an idea.

CBS Monday Night Comedy: Big Bang is gone (off to Thursdays), so the only other funny show on that night on that network is How I Met Your Mother (which is incredible...watch it!!!!). Let's move that over to ABC and create a new block.

8pm: The Middle
8:30pm: How I Met Your Mother
9pm: Modern Family
9:30pm: Cougar Town

Absolutely terrible Photoshop job but it gets the point across.
Solved! Networks, if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Tell me what you think! Am I wrong about something? Haha, I know, I laughed too. I'm never wrong. What a ridiculous question.

I said good day, sir!
-E

No comments:

Post a Comment